Sunday, January 3, 2010





My grandfather is 90. He has led a VERY full and wild life (if all the stories are true, really even if just some of them are true). However, as far as I have known him, he has been just bigger than life! I often think of him as a true tall tale. I mean this figuratively and literally. He is about 6'5 and he can tell a tale like no other. He catches fish with his hands, hunts and every year he puts out a garden that could feed all of Lewisburg. I have spen many hours near him soaking up great tales and laughing until tears were streaming down my face and begging my brain to remember the last hysterical thing he said!

We try to visit him monthly and he takes so much pride in being a great-grandfather. He always has candy beside his lazyboy and hands it out willingly. It is very sweet to watch him with my children. He smiles so wide every time they come through the door. He still has many hushed conversations about working hard and the big dollars that he is going to pay out from his "pocketbook". He is still bopping kids on his knee and singing "bomp diddy bomp".


Those are the things that I remember from being a little girl. I also remember what comes next as a teenager.He hasn't (thankfully) started saying things to my children like, "If anybody tries to sell you any of that dope you tell them I want to buy some.You send them right here to Barron Rd. and I will send them home in a bag. This is always followed by a long pause and then a current Lewisburg newspaper article involving "the dope"and its many dangers. Or my personal favorite, anytime that there is a lull in conversation and you are still smiling from the last hysterical thing that came out of his mouth and he bellows "Stay off that Met (he means Meth) . It kills, do you understand (insert here wild eyes boring a hole in you for a solid 5-10 sec) it KILLS." I almost pee every time because of how much he has just startled me.

New for this generation are the games or activities that he has concocted. Most every time, I have thought, "Jack will never play with that", and then he plays for hours. He has gathered cups for stacking, balls and clothes hampers to play soccer, wood blocks, wheels and a plastic seat to rid though the yard, wheels to push across the yard and chase.

Other times, I have held my breath and wondered how to find the closest medical care. Big Grandaddy gave Jack (when he was two, TWO I say) his old tackle box with rusty lures and fishing line. Thankfully, my first born does not have that wild side that made this a real danger, but I knew then that I needed to keep a closer eye on Grandaddy than Jack!

Our last visit brought us another one of these treats. This time was more of a grab bag of sorts. We went down to his shed that truly looks like something from the set of a horror film to gather our loot!

This is what we came back with. Now if I were one of those bloggers who had sponsors and giveaways this would be a contest for sure. Except, I guess I would also need to know what these things are so I guess that would not work! However, give yourself a pat on the back if you can identify any of these things.








Even though we joke and laugh all of the time, he ends each of our visits making sure that I know how much he adores me. I truly love this man who gave me my red hair and the passion for life that goes along with it! He does not have much to give but he is always smiling and giving what he does have lovingly, and I NEVER leave without a great story!

No comments:

Post a Comment