Monday, October 26, 2009

There are heroes among us



This past week was H week! I will post later about the tremendous amount of fun we had but I wanted to do a special post just about one "H" in particular - Heroes! Superheroes are a BIG part of our lives right now. Jack and Cole are superheroes for Halloween. Jack was invited to a superhero birthday party and has already decided that he will have a superhero fifth birthday party as well. We tell Jack adventures of Super Jack each and every night. These stories always include Super Jack saving the day! He loves to hear these adventures and the worst punishment is to loose the privilege of a Super Jack story


While H week was upon us, I read from a book entitled The Children's Book of Heroes. A poem called "Only a Dad" by Edgar Guest about a father caught my eye. I read it and I was stunned to recognize just how much of a hero we have living right in our home. Brad does an amazing job at work. He literally does the job of three men. He does love it so I know that makes it easier but he still works very long hours and for many days in a row. This past week was the bye week. This is the first time he has had a day off in months. This could have meant that he would just whole up somewhere and lay around and only come out for food. However, this is not what happened at all. He took Jack to school twice last week. He was so excited to get to drop him off. He called me both days to give me a report and to tell me how much fun he had. After Jack's soccer game he took him to the park and then home to watch the UT/ Bama game. He finished off the night cuddling Jack in the floor to have movie night! He is not only Jack's hero but little Cole is saying "da da da da" and leaning to him to get in his cuddles as well.


During this week he got another star on his hero cape in the husband department as well! He took me on a wonderful date to Flemings. He went into work late and came home early. Also, he went on a BIG grocery trip for me,I took TWO naps and he trimmed the hedges. Yep Ladies he is mine all mine!!


During the long hours and the hard days I forget, I feel entitled, I can play 57 rounds of tit for tat and for all of that I am truly sorry! This week was a wonderful reminder that I have a wonderful man!Thank you for saving the day!




The poem goes like this:


Only a Dad






Only a dad with a tired face,


Coming home from the daily race,


Bringing home little of gold or home


To show how well he has played the game


But glad in his heart that his own rejoice


To see him come and to hear his voice.




Only a dad with a brood of four,


One of ten million men or more


Plodding along in the daily strife,


Bearing the whips and scorns of life,


with never a whimper of pain or hate,


For the sake of those who at home await.




Only a dad,neither rich nor proud,


Merely one of the surging crowd,


Toiling,striving from day to day,


Facing whatever may come his way,


Silent whenever the harsh condemn,


And bearing it all for the love of them




Only a dad but he gives his all,


To smooth the way for his children small,


Doing with courage stern and grim


The deeds that his father did for him.


This is the line that for him I pen:


Only a dad,but the best of men.


No comments:

Post a Comment