My second child is the big 2. He is vastly different from my first! However, he has stolen my heart just the same. I know that I am partial, but I really feel so blessed that God choose me to be the mother to the two of them!
Cole is part monkey, part charmer, and since he has turned two, part dictator. As part monkey, he would definitely qualify to be a member of the Xtreme toddler team (if that existed)! He does amazing feats with his body that would have put most children in a body cast 10 times over yet, knock on wood , we have not made any trips to the E.R.! However, he just got his first skinned knee, it has concerned him very much. He truly seemed astounded that he could have let this happen. Also, as part monkey, he has even started using his feet to hold his sippy cup and to turn the pages of a book. He is also the toughest little guy I have just about ever seen. The other day our glass door swung shut on his face. He did not flinch! Another time he put his hand on the elevator door as it was opening but never took his hand away. The door slid back into the frame with his little hand inside. I pulled his hand free and he did not seemed the least bit fazed. While I wanted to curl up in a ball in the back of the elevator and shake and cry! I am quite sure that he has already taken a few years off of my life. The rapid acceleration of my heart rate, gasps, shudders and heightened quick response times are all part of a normal day. He also has fine motor skills that astound me all of the time! He plays with the tiniest Legos, little toys, and loves to pour from one container to another and hardly ever spill. Although sometimes he likes to pour with only one container. (Read: He loves to just pour things out on the table or floor!)
Also,Cole is the truest definition of a charmer! He has the biggest brightest blue eyes and he has no trouble using them when needed. My Dad is convinced that he has a lot of Gentry in him! My grandfather is the original charmer! My little boy loves to cuddle, to read books, and follow his big brother on any adventure. He melts our hearts all of the time, probably too much of the time! When he does get into trouble, he crosses his arms across his chest and huffs. He normally goes and puts his face on a wall and then turns those bright blues over to us. As to say" You could not seriously be upset with me?" He also loves to roll his eyes until they seem as though they might get stuck. On many occasions I have had to cover my face so that he does not see me laughing!
His newest tricks leave people confused or into fits of giggles! When he first encounters someone we are just meeting or haven't seen for some time, he sticks out his tongue and points to it saying "Dis my tongue". It is his version of the handshake! Then a few moments later if he spots anyone looking his way, he pulls his shirt over his head and says" dis my stomach". No one is sure what to make of any of this but normally everyone has a good laugh and is completely charmed! His sentences also keep me completely adoring him. They are short but completely do the trick! "What doin?", "Are youuuuuu Bubba?", "Yes, momma!" "What dat noise?" "Touchdown Tennessee Titans"
As 2 yr. old dictator, he began hitting, and we worked through that, then he moved onto hitting himself. He did not get anything on that one! He has now moved onto screaming his reactions at us. I tell him that he needs to say, " I am sorry for screaming, momma." He mouths the words "sorry screamin momma." I say, "Cole, I can not hear you" He says in the softest whisper, " I sorry sreamin momma." We go through that a few times until I get an audible answer. Then I make him say, " I am angry" He says, " I angry." "Yes, Cole instead of screaming, you can say, 'I am angry" This has not worked yet but we are still working! This normally gets us straight for a few minutes. Then the next event comes, this time instead of screaming, he will usually just fall face down on the floor or refuse to make his legs work or do what we call "going no bones" or "falling out"! I am not sure if I should consider it progress that he is not screaming again.
The bottom line is that no matter how many screams or fits, I am unabashedly smitten with this boy! (Everyone knows I am smitten with Jack, but this is Cole's birthday post) I come from a female dominant family and always thought I would want all girls. I am as happy as a pig in mud being a mother of boys! I truly could have a few more! If only there was a guarantee they would be just like these two!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love your blog and the boys !!
ReplyDelete